The role ensures smooth operation of our front-of-house (visitor) services and will assist the Atlas with its social media content throughout the season. It also ensures the smooth operation of our frontline staffing, including assisting with daily frontline staff scheduling, pro-active problem solving, and assisting with daily team meetings. The Visitor Services Team Lean is also responsible for check-in desk and gift shop responsibilities, including cash handling, shop restocking, public information and booking tours. The role will evolve over the season, being weighted more heavily to front-of-house duties in May/June and more supervision and adjacent duties in July/Aug. Finally, they are responsible for assisting with a range of cleaning duties, including ensuring our washrooms, buildings and general site areas are kept clean and in-line with our COVID-19 mitigation protocols. All duties must be performed incompliance with the Atlas’ occupational health & safety policies.
1) Learn the history of coal mining in the Drumheller Valley, including the work and home life of the miners, the technical operation of the Atlas, and the social context in which the mines operated.
2) Learn and understand the Atlas’ brand parameters (including our Red House Gift Shop brand) and how this translates to high-quality social media content over a variety of platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, etc.). Learn and apply best practice social media strategies. Assist with the development of content (pictures, videos
3) Assist with update daily staffing schedules to account for changes in tours, staffing levels and other circumstances.
4) Assist with daily frontline team meetings and pro-actively engage with issues that arise over the season. The Visitor Services Team Lead is a first point of contact for our Visitor Services team and a liaison between frontline staff and management.
5) Perform check-in desk and gift shop duties as needed. This includes cash handling (cash-in/cash-out/transactions),restocking, booking tours, answering phone inquiries and giving tour/site information.
6) Assist the maintenance team to perform cleaning duties as needed to a high standard. This includes cleaning bathrooms, historic buildings and general site cleaning (emptying garbages, etc) in compliance with our COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
7) As we are a small team at the Atlas, assisting management with other tasks may be required throughout the job term.
Qualifications, Experience, and Competencies:
We require at least one year of post-secondary education, preferably in history, archaeology, anthropology, education, geology or performing arts. Some management experience would be an asset. Basic first-aid certification is required prior to the first day of work. CSA approved steel-toed footwear is required. A valid driver’s license is required. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (as outlined in Alberta’s REP) or valid medical exemption is required prior to commencement of position. A positive, flexible, caring attitude is a must and we expect all Atlas employees to take care of themselves, their teammates and our visitors throughout their work term.
We thrive in a diverse work environment and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Work Environment and Compensation:
The Atlas is an outdoor historic industrial site in a rural location. All site buildings are designated historic resources. Work condition scan be challenging at times, due to the nature of the site and the Drumheller environment (extreme heat during the summer, difficult local terrain, historic buildings).
The Visitor Services Team Lead will work a rotating schedule, including weekends, 37.5 hours a week. Hours per week will not normally exceed 44.
Rate of pay is $17.50/hour. The post term is from May 5 through Sept 5, 2022.
This position is funding-dependant and all successful applicants must be eligible for the Young Canada Works in Heritage Organizations program. Eligibility requirements are available here: https://www.canada.ca/en/canadianheritage/services/funding/young-canada-works/students-graduates/heritage-organizations-students.html