Small Town Living, Big City Opportunities
Ascend is a growth-oriented accounting, tax and advisory firm with a national presence that serves small and medium sized businesses in small communities across Canada. We are passionate about the professional development of our people, and we strive to create opportunities within the organization that support their career objectives and build them up to reach their highest potential.
We are looking for a Payroll Administrator to join our office in Stettler, Alberta. This position will play a crucial role in maintaining accurate and efficient payroll operations. You will be responsible for managing processes, ensuring compliance and providing exceptional customer service to all stakeholders.
This role will be of interest to someone who:
- Has passion for working with business owners in ways to help facilitate client growth and success
- Thrives in an innovative organization that is continuously investing in process improvement and utilization of technology
- Understands the value of collaboration and relationships because it takes a team to successfully achieve a common goal
- Has a growth mindset and is committed to professional development
- Actively works towards maintaining a work-life balance because it is important for over all well being, health, as well as, productivity, and performance
Key Activities and Responsibilities
- Responsible for accurate preparation, documentation, distribution and administration of payroll for twenty-two offices across Canada in several jurisdictions, ensuring compliance with federal and provincial legislation
- Maintain accurate and organized payroll records of employee information, earnings, and deductions
- Prepare and distribute payroll reports to management and finance teams as needed
- Respond to and resolve inquiries surrounding compensation and deductions, escalating when required
- Year-end processes, including T4 preparation
- Benefits administration
- WSIB, WorkSafeBC, WorkSafeNB reporting, reconciliation and filing
- EHT reporting, reconciliation and filing
- Support with seamless onboarding of new employees and ensure accurate payroll and benefits setup
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Post secondary education in Accounting, Finance, or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- 3+ years of direct payroll experience
- PCP designation is considered an asset
- Proficiency in payroll software and Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Knowledge of applicable payroll legislation and employment standards
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in data entry
- High ethical standards to maintain confidentiality as it relates to payroll & HR information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Don’t meet every single requirement? We encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles at Ascend.
What we offer
- A people focused organization that values high-performance and provides engaging and interesting work
- Continuous support for professional growth and advancement opportunities within the firm
- Hybrid work options allow for flexible work schedules to support work life balance
- Relocation assistance available
- Competitive wage, benefits, and incentives
Interested candidates are invited to send a cover letter and resume in one document.
We thank you in advance for your application and the time you have invested in preparing it however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ascend is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive workplace. We pride ourselves in having a culture where we recognize and celebrate the valuable differences that make our employees unique, which include race, religious beliefs, physical or mental disabilities, age, place of origin, marital status, family status, gender or gender identity and sexual orientation.
Job Type: Full-time
Benefits: Extended health care
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Work Location: In person